Cleveland is no stranger to the stinging insect family—from ants to spiders to mosquitoes, these pests are rampant throughout Cleveland homes and businesses. Your Critter Control of Cleveland technician can help you get rid of stinging insects from your home for good. Contact us today for help getting rid of stinging insects; call our office at (216) 342-2316 or contact us online here.
Common Stinging Insects in Cleveland
The following insects pose a threat to the health and sanitation of your home and business.
- Ants have six legs, segmented bodies, antennae, and are reddish-black to black in color.
- Mosquitoes are tiny and delicate looking. They have two wings and long, slender proboscis, or mouthparts used for penetrating the skin and feeding on blood. Mosquitoes are often found around stagnant water sources like lakes or ponds.
- Spiders have eight legs, uniquely arranged eyes, identifying patterns on their backs, and range in color from black and brown to tan and yellow. They are found both inside and outside, in secluded areas.
- Bed bugs are tiny, flat, and appear reddish. Per their name, these insects are found infesting mattresses, headboards, and other sleeping areas.
- Fleas are microscopic, reddish-brown, and have piercing-sucking mouthparts. They mostly exist inside the fur of their hosts.
Stinging Insect Problems
- All biting and stinging insects take up residence in yards and homes.
- Ant tunnels are often constructed in lawns and individuals from colonies will move inside homes and heated structures at the onset of cold weather.
- Mosquitoes feed off people and animals and therefore hang around yards, farms, and any places where blood meals are regularly present.
- Bed bugs, like mosquitoes, need to be around humans in order to regularly feed.
- Ants and bed bugs leave behind irritating itchy red spots where they bite people. Fire ants inject venom into their victims, which leads to an unpleasant burning sensation.
- Though spiders are not aggressive, they bite people when they feel threatened or trapped. Common house spiders leave behind red marks when they bite; however, all symptoms tend to dissipate in a few hours. Brown recluse spiders are much more dangerous, as their venom can destroy skin tissue and incite severe allergic reactions.
- Fleas do not typically target humans and more commonly congregate on household pets, like dogs and cats. Severe reactions to flea bites cause symptoms such as intense itchiness, hair loss, reddening skin, and secondary infections.
Stinging Insect Control & Safety
Any number of modifications can be made to homes and yards in order to decrease the possibility of encountering biting and stinging insects. Employing any or all of these methods will make homes less favorable to insect pests:
- Clean up liquids and solid food spills immediately.
- Keep indoor and outdoor trash bins tightly sealed.
- Replace broken and ripped window and door screens.
- Look for and seal any cracks in building foundations.
- Trim ornamental shrubs and tree branches to ensure they don't touch or hang over homes.
- Eliminate areas of standing water and excess moisture.
- Store firewood off the ground and away from homes.
- Bathe pets regularly.
Get Rid of Insects Quickly
The variety of biting and stinging insect pests makes over-the-counter removal solutions ineffective. Critter Control of Cleveland's technicians have extensive knowledge of the behavior of several insect species and the necessary tools to eradicate biting and stinging insects from homes. At the first sign of infestation, property owners should contact our trained professionals. We can help you get rid of stinging insect problems. Call today at (216) 342-2316 or reach us online.
We're proud to provide service to the following counties in Cleveland: Lorain, Geauga, Summit, Cuyahoga, and Lake.Request a Quote